hey. just a short post to update on whats going in words.
i am flying to East Greenland tomorrow. let me share with you, now, what could possibly be the greatest official tourism slogan of all time:
"East Greenland is not Scenery - it's Savagery."
oh man. E. Grønland is, along with the Thule district, one of the most traditional parts of the country, where hunting is still crucial to having enough food and materials for living throughout the year. i'm gonna be staying in a village with a population of 310 for three days before flying on to Reykjavik, and i have no idea where i'm going to stay yet. adventures!
so today was my last day in Nuuk. i said goodbye to pals and ran around in the snow showers feeling generally antsy. i got a text message from a friend working on the ferry about how a wave had smashed two windows on the bridge and damaged the navigational equipment last night (see photos in the entry below), so they were gonna be stuck in Maniitsoq for some days while it got fixed. mind you, there is only one actual passenger vessel, the Sarfaq Ittuk, servicing all of Greenland...and now it's broken. i can only imagine all the people stranded along the coast, with no other option but waiting it out. which reminds me of a slogan of my own i came up with some time ago:
"Greenland: Damned If You Do, Damned If You Don't !"
i love this place.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Amazing. I assumed you'd be flying to Labrador or something from Greenland, but I suppose it's more economical to backtrack through Reykjavik. I crossed the Panama Canal two days ago in the boat and now I'm in a hostel in Panama City. The nature is beautiful here but the architecture in the capital is ugly, like the worst of Los Angeles suburbs. They do have a ton of veggie food that's super cheap though so that's cool. I was craving seitan and tofu and tempeh like crazy and I went a little insane last night at the Chinese buffet. You're still totally welcome to join my Dempster Highway hitchhike this summer, though I imagine you'll be sick of northern latitudes by then...wait, who am I kidding? You'll never be sick of northern latitudes. Nor I!
erin - yes, i would have loved to fly to Labrador, but there are no direct flights to North America from Greenland at all, except for a summer one to Baltimore that ended about 2 months ago. i am way down for the Dempster Highway adventure by the way...good luck on your travels too!
Post a Comment